The Project Pool rows the Atlantic!

More people have climbed Everest than rowed the Atlantic solo.

The Project Pool sponsored Steve Shanly in his attempt and yesterday, 41 days after leaving Gran Canaria, he made landfall in Barbados.

He kept a log of his journey in the modern way. Instagram. Check out https://www.instagram.com/stephenshanly/ for the story. Steve does not hide behind a “stiff upper lip” and the story is all the better for it.

11 days in he lost his sliding seat when he suffered one of his many rollovers, which meant he had lost 2/3rds of his undoubted strength to get him across the Atlantic in double quick time.

Throw in trying to sort problems with water makers and Autopilots and from the comfort of my office… it was like watching a slow motion car crash.

He stuck at it, found support from friends and family and inspiration at his lowest point from Winston Churchill: “when you’re going through hell, keep going”

He summarised upon his finish about how he approached the challenge:-

Simply, all it took was a decision, and then lots of small movements. Same for any challenge or task.

Bit like being a freelancer in these uncertain times.

I recommend you spend a few minutes reading through his Instagram and I am sure you will not fail to be inspired by his adventure. Maybe consider visiting his Virgin giving page and help him hit his fund raising target?

The Project Pool Newsletter No 1